Meeting Minutes – Monday, 2 January 2017
Wilson County Beekeepers Association met for the first meeting in 2017 on January 2 at the Ward Ag Center. President Carey Mitchell welcomed a light crowd of forty-five members and guests. Those in attendance approved the minutes from the December 5, 2016 dinner. The year-end checkbook balance was reported at $xxx
Old Business Discussed:
- The only old business discussed was that new inspector badgers were available for pick-up.
New Business Discussed:
- Dues are due. New membership books were available for those that have already paid (those that took the Short Course in October or mailed-in dues)
- Nashville Area Beekeepers are holding their Advanced Beekeeping Winter Workshop on Saturday, January 14 at 8:30 am to around 3:00 pm. Speakers will be Dr. Clarence Collison and Jennifer Berry. The cost is $30.00, which includes lunch, but you need to pre-register… either by mailing in your payment or registering online.
Margaret’s Monthly To Do List:
As Margaret Cantrell (newly elected Vice President) is visiting her daughter in Beirut, Lebanon, she said she will have a honey of a report at the next meeting when she returns
In her absence, Carey had the January To-Do List:
- During warm (60+ degrees) days, check that bees have stores close to cluster area, especially around brood
- Feed with dry sugar, patties, or fondant—NOT SYRUP
- Insure proper ventilation; check for protection against drafts
- Prepare and repair equipment for the upcoming season
- Read to self-inform; attend instructional courses; talk to mentors and instructors
Susan Welchance from Rutherford County Beekeepers had a wonderful program discussing cleaning wax and molding candles. Handouts were available (and for those that did not attend, copies are available in the reference section).
January 14 – NABA workshop
February 6 – Jay Williams on Bee Removal
February 25 – Beginning Beekeeping Refresher Workshop, 9 am to noon
– TBA Spring Board Meeting—1:00 pm
In Margaret’s absence, Fred stepped in to help hand out door prizes to: Wayne Store, Sterling Earhart, Mark Anderson, Kay Store, Ernie Calabria, and Dale, McCleskey.
The Club’s current checkbook balance is $xxx
Respectfully submitted: Petra Mitchell, Secretary/Treasurer—Wilson County Beekeepers Association, January 3, 2017