Meeting Minutes – Monday, 03 October 2016
On October 3, 2016 the Wilson County Beekeepers met at the Ward Ag Center with 57 members, guest and visitors in attendance. Carey Mitchell presided over the meeting. An approval of the September meeting was made.
Old Business Discussed:
- Carey thanked those that delivered the hat/veil combos to the EMS station. Still needed someone to deliver the one for Gallatin and Franklin.
- TBA Conference is October 7 and 8 at Hyder-Burk Pavilion in Cookeville. We utilized the three scholarships given by TBA and only one of the nine that WCBA offered.
- Vendors will be at the Conference and bringing orders without shipping charge: Mann Lake, Dadant, Kelly Bees, Brushy Mountain (10% discount), and Bon Aqua Springs.
- Still have 12 dozen bears let over from the fair…going for $5.00 per dozen until they are gone.
- Short Course is scheduled for October 18-20. Several registration have been turned in and there are several newbees in attendance tonight. If you are a current member and plan on attending, please let Petra know so that we have enough seating and food. Need some help on Thursday night building frames and installing foundation.
- Carey reviewed again about discontinuing the Baking with Honey portion and removing the Exhibition Hive category from competition. As no one disapproved, we will proceed with the change for the 2017 Fair.
- Still circulating lists…Christmas Charity, Mentorship, Program givers. Please sign up where you can help.
- Elections are in November. Anyone looking to add their name to the ballot need to let someone know. Candice Thompson encouraged newer members to consider taking on a position.
New Business Discussed:
- For those that worked the Honey Booth this year at the fair, The Appreciation Dinner is scheduled for Tuesday, November 1 at 6:30. Need to know how many will be attending. Deadline to reserve a seat is October 20, so let Petra know if you are going.
- Received a call from Herb Lester last week…he had a stroke affecting his left side and will be going to Adams Place in Murfreesboro for rehabilitation.
- WT Nolen is home doing therapy. He is feeling better and the pain is tolerable. Would love to hear from any and all
- Wayne Storey is making a remarkable recovery and back with us tonight, although a bit slow. Glad to see him back and he is definitely glad to be seen.
- Fred Dawson made the announcement that he will not be resuming the Vice Presidency for the next term, so someone will need to step up and assume the position
Fred’s Monthly To Do List:
- Check stores—need to make sure you have stores for winter…60 pounds
- Combine weak hives…it’s better to have one strong hive than no hive
- Time to get entrance reducers in
- Fred finished by wishing Carey a Happy Birthday on the 14th!
David Hughes from Rock Bridge Trees had an informative program on Bee Trees with trees for sale after the meeting.
- October 8 & 9—TBA Fall Conference
- October 18-20—Short Course
- October 20—Deadline for Fair Appreciation Dinner
- November 1—Fair Appreciation Dinner
- November 7—Next meeting—Mentor Moments—requesting ALL mentors to come up with three interesting but non-essential facts about honey bees. Please write them down so we can put together a list. This will be a good time for mentors to introduce themselves to the newbees. Also…ELECTIONS!!!
Carey and Fred handed out door prizes to Clint Cannon, Lanny Correll, Candice Thompson, Nancy Fulcher, Ricky Underhill, and JD Vantrease.
Meeting adjourned around 8:25 for refreshments and fellowship.
Respectfully submitted: Petra Mitchell, Secretary/Treasurer
Wilson County Beekeepers Association
October 4, 2016