Meeting Minutes – Monday, 12 September 2016
Carey Mitchell, President of the Wilson County Beekeepers Association welcomed 60 members, guests, and visitors to the September 12, 2016 meeting. The membership approved the July minutes. He reported that the current checkbook balance is $——–, which includes proceeds from the sale of honey, wax blocks, basket tickets and bake sale items from the fair. Carey started the meeting by thanking everyone that helped with the Fair…those that sat at the booth, donated honey for sale, brought items for the raffle basket (which was won by Cynthia Clark from Carthage out of 379 tickets), and everyone that entered. Congratulations to all the winners! Also, a big thank you to Kenny Birdwell who put together the video and brought the equipment to view it.
Old Business Discussed:
- We finally got the hat/veil combos in and need some help delivering. Need someone for Davidson, Macon, Rutherford, Smith, Sumner, Trousdale, and Williamson counties to deliver. Cannon, DeKalb, Overton, Putnam, and Wilson have been taken care of.
- T-Shirts are in…a few extras were purchased in case you didn’t pre-order
- Last time we met, WCBA voted to give away a total of 12 one-day Conference scholarships to first-time attendees. If you are wanting to go, get with Petra to put your name on the list. These need to be in by early registration of September 23.
- The covers for the extractor have been located.
- TBA Conference is October 7 & 8 at Hyder-Burks in Cookeville. Petra has extra registration forms and will take them tonight if completed. The schedule was also available.
New Business Discussed:
- There were bears left over from the fair…$5.00 per dozen, until they are gone.
- Some 50 folks signed up for the Short Course (October 18-20) at the Fair. And Greg has posted it to our Facebook page with some interest. Registration information will go out next week. Would appreciate anyone that can help with the course, especially on Thursday when we assemble equipment
- Folders for each table were circulated…suggestions for the Christmas Charity. Also, if you are willing to be a mentor or do programs at schools/garden clubs/clubs in general.
- David Thompson is running for TBA Middle TN Regional VP and would appreciate your vote
- Vendors will be at TBA Conference and bringing orders without shipping charges: Mann Lake, Dadant, Kelley Bees, Brushy Mountain (offering 10% discount, but only taking orders 2 weeks before Conference), Rossman Apiaries, and Bon Aqua Springs. Place your orders and save. We will be glad to pick up orders if you are not attending…but let us know.
- There was a discussion about next year’s Honey Show. Would like to discontinue the Baking with Honey portion and remove the Exhibition Hive from the competition. This would make it so entries would be a week earlier when the non-perishable items come in. Fair questionnaires were available for input.
- Adam White has published a book, Consider the Honeybee, and it was available for free download on Amazon.
- Elections are in November. If you want to run for a position, please let it be known.
Fred’s Karen’s Monthly To Do List:
- Check stores—need to make sure you have stores for winter…60 pounds
- Is your colony queenright?
- Evaluate colonies…it’s better to have one strong hive then 2 week hives
Carey had a most informative program on Fall and Winter Management. Handouts were available at the end of the program. They will also be posted to the website.
October 3—David Hughes from Rock Bridge Trees—Bee Trees
October 18-20—Short Course
With Fred’s absence, Eric Meador helped Carey hand out door prizes to Gayle Booker, Peggy Scholes, Ronnie Woodard, George Bilbrey and Karen Dawson.
The Club’s current checkbook balance is $__________________.
Meeting adjourned around 8:55 for refreshments and fellowship.
Respectfully submitted: Petra Mitchell, Secretary/Treasurer
Wilson County Beekeepers Association
September 14, 2016