Meeting Minutes – Monday, 11 April 2016
Carey Mitchell, President of the Wilson County Beekeepers Association welcomed 85 members, guests, and visitors to the April 11, 2016 meeting at the Ward Ag Center. The March minutes as posted in the last newsletter were approved.
Carey took a moment to thank everyone that came out to help with the ‘Bee Escape’. He greatly appreciated everyone’s assistance.
Old Business Discussed:
- For those that didn’t attend the Commission Meeting in March, Petra had copies of the resolution for those that attended the ‘Bee Escape’.
- If you haven’t paid your dues, please do so. If you haven’t picked up your new membership books, do so at the end of the meeting. That includes anyone that attended the Short Course in October
- Dale McCleskey brought the donated Video Projector for the club, which will be stored in the closet. A great deal for his lifetime membership.
- A reminder…Petra has UltraBee pollen substitute for sale…$1.75 per pound (Also have beetle jails for $1.50 and beetle blasters for $1.00)
- New books and videos plus teaching frames were purchased with the $200.00 Education Grant from TBA. Check with Kelcie, our librarian for checkout
- T-shirt sign-up is at the back table…we have black with gold lettering, gold with black lettering, khaki with black lettering, and pink with black lettering. Cost is $10.00 per shirt, no matter the size. We do need to get lots of 12 per color before thy will print.
- Farm Day is tomorrow and Wednesday…Margaret still needs a few volunteers
- Swarm list on the back table. Be sure your information is correct.
- Thanks to those that brought footwear for New Leash on Life. They will be delivered this week
- Don’t forget to pick up catalogs in the closet
New Business Discussed:
- As of Friday, there are an extra 100 packages available for the April 30 delivery of Wilbanks bees. Need to order direct from the Carters
- Field Day is sent—Saturday, May 21 with the weather alternate date of May 28…locations are listed in the membership book. Will have directions at the next meeting.
- Michelle Colopy from Pollinator Stewardship Council will be speaking at the Beekeepers of Middle TN meeting (Franklin Ag Center) on Thursday night (April 14) at 7:00 pm
Fred’s Karen’s To Do List
- Inspect Colony…queen right, good brood pattern, swarm cells?
- Supers do not work in the garage…need to get them on the hive
- When supers are on, there should be NO syrup feeding or chemical treatment
- Install beetle traps
Clarence Collison had a wonderful PowerPoint program on Basic Bee Biology. He always speaks on a level that we can all understand…from beginner to seasoned beekeeper
Next Meeting—May 2—Joel Hausser from Davy Crockett Beekeepers will be here to discuss Planting Wild Flowers for Bee Forage
Carey with the help of Eric Meador handed out door prizes at the end of the evening to these lucky winners: Susan Norvall, JD Ginder, Jake Balentine, Joe Carter, and Bryan Graves
Meeting adjourned around 8:40 for refreshments and fellowship.
Respectfully submitted: Petra Mitchell, Secretary/Treasurer—Wilson County Beekeepers Association, April 12, 2016