Meeting Minutes – Monday, 4 January 2016
Carey Mitchell, President of the Wilson County Beekeepers Association welcomed a small group of 65 members, visitors and guests to the January 4th meeting at the Ward Ag Center. He wondered if the small group was due to the cold weather or the new season of The Bachelor
Old Business Discussed:
- Carey again thanked the membership for their generous donations that were collected at the Christmas Dinner for the Wounded Warrior Project. A total of $1,360.00 was collected
- There is still a bit of time to register for the Advanced Beekeeping Day at Ellington Ag Center hosted by NABA on Saturday, January 16. Meeting starts at 8:00 am and will conclude around 3:00 pm. The cost is $25.00 which includes lunch. Kent Williams and Clarence Collison will be speaking. Petra has a couple of registration forms.
- If you are planning on starting bees this Spring, you need to place your order soon…Jim Murff has 5 frame nucs available for $150.00 and Bobby Carter will be picking up Wilbanks packages (3 pound+). Total cost is $87.00 with a $25.00 deposit due at order and the balance payable by March 1. Projected pickup is April 16 (subject to change due to weather) and will be delivered to the Fairgrounds.
New Business Discussed:
- Dues are due…and the new membership books are here. We have a great lineup of speakers for this year…Jay Williams, Trevor Qualls, Kent Williams, Clarence Collison, Joel Hausser, Jeff Herel, Barry Richards, and David Hughes. Please take the time to look at the membership…lots of good information.
- TBA will be awarding Education Grants again this year. Any suggestions how to spend the money? Bring your suggestions to next month’s meeting
- WCBA will be having their Beginning Beekeeper Refresher on Saturday, February 20 at 9:00 am in the East/West Building. This will be a quick overview of the short course for newbees wanting to reconfirm some information
- TBA Board Meeting will be Saturday, February 20 at 1:00 pm. Anyone willing to bring cookies/brownies/treats for refreshments, let Petra know, as WCBA is hosting (can be brought to the February 1st meeting)
- Carey announced that on the 7th, Fred Dawson will be celebrating his big birthday…only one year away from the big 7-0!!
Fred’s To Do List:
- Check stores for emergency feeding—warm weather may have depleted stores—what method will you be using—fondant, campground method, small marshmallows or candy canes
- Make sure outer cover is secure from winter winds
- Plans for 2016—order bees, nucs, equipment
The evening’s program was presented by Jay Williams from Williams Honey Farm in Franklin, TN. He explained how they make Comb/Chunk Honey, Creamed Honey, and showed different
honey containers to showcase your honey and boost sales.
- Next meeting, Monday, February 1—Trevor Qualls…Drones: The Forgotten Part of Queen Rearing and Evaluating Bees for Splits
- February 20—Beginning Beekeeper Refresher—9:00 am
- TBA Board Meeting—1:00 pm
Jay graciously brought some honey for door prizes. Carey and Fred drew these names this meeting:
George Bilbrey, Gordon Rogers, Deale McCleskey, Lilly Kate Davis, Kim Walter, Anissa Dredge, LaVone Thorne, Kerry Black, Tony Mercante, Jake Balentine, Marcus Bigbie.
Meeting adjourned around 8:00for refreshments and fellowship.
Respectfully submitted: Petra Mitchell, Secretary/Treasurer—Wilson County Beekeepers Association, January 6, 2016